Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Peace independence democracy unity prosperity
Ministry of Post and Telecommunications No: 3680/MPT
Vientiane, 19 December 2017
On The Management and Use of Government Email
- Pursuant to the Law on Technology and Information No 02/NA, dated 07 November 2016;
- Pursuant to the Law on Resistance and Prevention of Cyber Crime No 61/NA, dated 15 July 2015;
- Pursuant to the Government’s Decree on Management and Usage of Internet, Domain name of Lao PDR No 164/GoL, dated 21 March 2012;
- Pursuant to the Prime Minister’s Decree on Organization and Operation of Ministry of Post and Telecommunication No 22/PM, dated 16 January 2017;
Minister of Post and Telecommunication hereby issues the following decision:
Article 1. Purpose:
This Decision defines principle, regulation and measures to manage and use of the electronic mail system of government to combined utilization of such system to effectively exchange information of each government agency, aiming at securing data and national public security.
Article 2. Government Email
The Government Email is a centralizing system of electronic mail usage in relevant governmental organizations under the following domain name.gov.la that is supplied, managed and serviced by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunication.
Article 3. Definition of Terms
The terms used in this Decision shall have the following meanings:
- Electronic Mail (e-mail) refers to the documents contain information in electronic system sent from a computer to another computer via internet system;
- Symbol @ in electronic mail refers to a symbolic meaning located in between Name and Domain Name;
- POP refers to setting unit to enable downloading data from electronic mail to save in the tools of users;
- IMAP refers to setting or Protocol to define the electronic mail that enables connecting to use in various programs of electronic mail set in the tools of users;
- Auto Save Password refers to the unnecessary to enter a password every time for log in that is automatically saved in User’s email;
- Second Level Domain Name or 2LD refers to the abbreviated code that defines to the specific governmental organization. This 2LD is the second level domain followed from the highest level in order to distinguish the type of the governmental organizations such as .GOV access to internet through the country code top level domain name;
- Third Level Domain Name or 3LD refers to abbreviated code that defines to the specific governmental sectors, ministries, capital city and provinces or other users;
Article 4. Scope of Decision Application
This Decision applies to the governmental organizations and government officials who use the Government Email.
Government Agency Email
Article 5. The Government Agency Email
The Government Agency Email means usage of electronic mail in the concerned governmental organizations under the name code of .gov.la. This could use the electronic mail in two (2) systems as:
- Electronic Mail system of Government;
- Electronic Mail system in the specific governmental organizations.
Article 6. Government Email System
The Government Email System is the Software-Hardware systems and infrastructure serviced the electronic mail in the government that is serviced and managed by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications.
Article 7. Electronic Mail System in the Specific Governmental Organizations
The electronic mail system in the specific governmental organization means the software and hardware systems are allocated by the specific governmental organization to serve for its usage of electronic mail. The software and hardware substances must be set up at the National Internet Data Center of the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications.
Article 8. Structure of Electronic Mail Name in Government
The governmental organizations and officials who will use the electronic mail name of its governmental organizations must have the following structures:
- The Second Level Domain Name or 2 LD of the governmental organizations must be ended as.gov.la ;
- The Third Level Domain Name or 3LD of the governmental organizations (@organization) shall use the abbreviated code less than six (6) alphabets and be accorded to the legislative of their organizations, for an example: Ministry of Post and Telecommunications uses the abbreviated English name as MPT.
- Email address (name@) may use the abbreviated name or full name of user less than 15 alphabets, for an example: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Article 9. Registration procedure for Using Electronic Mail Name of Government
- The governmental organizations enable to propose to set its third level domain name or 3LD (@organization) with the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications;
- The User of electronic mail name of a governmental organization enables to use the Email name as follow:
- Set the electronic mail name according to its organization name, such as name of ministry, department, division and so forth. The electronic mail name may be an abbreviated code or full name. for an example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set the electronic mail name according to the positions in its organization, such as Minister, Deputy Minister, Chief of Cabinet, Director General, Division Director, Secretary and so forth. The electronic mail name may be an abbreviated code or full name. for an example: DGemail@example.com
- Set the electronic mail name according to a government official’s name and surname which shall be included only name or name and surname. For an example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Individuals, legal entities or governmental organizations who wish to use the Government email, must fill the application form to the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications according to the regulations in registration of electronic mail name usage. Each user is unable to use the same code name of electronic mail. Therefore, the registration will be available on First Come, First Served basis. First registered user authorized for her/his preferred code and the newcomer should revise the code to be different with the existent names.
Article 10. Transformation to use the Electronic Mail System of Government
The governmental organizations must use the electronic mail system of government in public manners those are supplied by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications. In case, the governmental organizations are currently using the electronic mail system through other domestic and foreign suppliers, the concerned organizations must change to use the electronic mail system of the government.
Security of using Government email
Article 11. Security of Electronic Mail System
The security of electronic mail is a measure and regulation to protect the safety in usage, managing and transmitting of the electronic mail system of government by guarantee the software, hardware, network and information are secured.
Article 12. Security of Accession and Electronic Mail Usage
Individuals, who use the electronic mail of government, should implement the following steps for their information security:
- To regularly update the functionalities of computer and new software applications;
- To regularly update and set up the Antivirus software;
- To set up the system accessing code in high security level and change code in every six (6) months;
- To avoid opening the attached files with unsecured sources;
- The accessibility of electronic mail should be connected with the secured tools and use the Secure Socket Layer: SSL every time.
Article 13. Security of Received-Sent Data through Electronic Mail System
- The governmental organizations must follow the instruction and regulations on Receiving and Sending Information in the governmental organizations presented by the Ministry of Home Affairs;
- The governmental organizations must use Email Signature and the accessibility code of sent Email must be in a top secret code level (sensitive level);
- Users prohibit downloading the Government Email to install and set in another server (setting POP or IMAP).
Article 14. Security of Using the Electronic Mail System Service
- The electronic mail shall not be sent to the suspended User’s name;
- In case, there are any problems with the name of electronic mail, the supplier shall send a message via SMS or other social media on the specific matters to the owner’s name of electronic mail, such as password is stolen, the account was registered using in abroad where is never seen in history list before and other issues.
- In case, if an electronic mail affects to other electronic mail or the safety of database, the services provider will change the password of that electronic mail and send SMS to user via registered mobile number.
Article 15. Appointing the Technical Staff for Managing the Security of Electronic Mail Usage in the Governmental Organizations
The cabinet office of the governmental organizations must assign the technical administrator to follow the security of electronic mail usage in its organizations and be responsible for collaborating to the controller of electronic mail system of government.
Rights and Duties of System Administrators,
Rights and Obligations of Users of Government Email
Article 16. Rights of Administrator of the Electronic Mail System of Government
The Administrator of electronic mail system of government authorize the following rights:
- Licensing and offering rights for using the electronic mail name to the governmental organizations and officials;
- Determining the rights and scope of application to the governmental organizations in the usage of electronic mail of government;
- Withdrawing the user’s name of Government Email if the user is not an official in the governmental organizations;
- Withdrawing the service to the governmental organization if that organization is ceased;
- Notice, cease or withdraw the user’s name of Government Email if the electronic mail name contravenes the agreement and regulations;
- Withdrawing the name of Government Email that does not frequently use within one (1) year;
- Deleting the user’s data of electronic mail if it exceeds the granted capacity of user;
- Ceasing the connection or system accession of users if the computer tools attach herewith virus or other unsecured materials that may affect to the safety of electronic mail of government;
- To exercise such other rights as provided under this Decision, principles and method of the electronic mail usage of government.
Article 17. Duties of Administrator of the Electronic Mail System of Government
The Administrator of the electronic mail system of government authorize the following missions:
- To analyze and expand the governmental plan and strategy on the handling of Government Email into action plan and ensuring on the effectiveness of its implementation;
- To analyze and create the principles, guideline for the implementation of the Minister’s Decision on Management and Handling of Electronic Mail System in the government of Lao PDR;
- To allocate, supply, install, manage and service the electronic mail system of government to users in order to ensure the security and demands of the electronic mail usage;
- To promote and spread the laws or regulations on the management and handling of electronic mail of government;
- To build, training, upgrade the knowledge and personal development on the management and handling of electronic mail system;
- monitor, inspection and provide recommendations on management and handling of electronic mail system to the concerned governmental organizations;
- To receive the complaints, indictments and other notices in violation of the regulations of electronic mail usage or any problems from users that may affect to other users;
- To regularly summarize and report its implementation and activities to the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications;
- To exercise such other assigned missions.
Article 18. Rights and Obligations for Service Users of Government Email
- Rights and Obligations for the Governmental Organizations Using the Government Email
The governmental organizations using the Government Email shall have the following rights and obligations:
- To use the Government Email for contacting and collaborating within domestic and international agencies in order to receive and send information in accordance with the rights and duties of the governmental organizations, such as ministries, equivalent organizations, provinces, governmental departments and offices;
- To be responsible for all information kept in the files materials and programs under supervision and management of the governmental organizations, in case, the information was stolen, lost information caused by virus, sending Email to the wrong persons, or other matters;
- Must guarantee the standard and quality of materials, software and network systems in order to regularly connect and use the electronic mail system of government;
- Must appoint the qualified staff who have primary knowledge, skills and experience on electronic mail usage to manage, inspect, assess and use the Government Email in effectiveness and efficiency;
- In case, the users found any problems in the usage of electronic mail, the users must report it to the concerned authorities in the governmental organizations and informing such problems to the administrator of Government Email in order to figure out the solution on time;
- The assigned persons, who are responsible for managing and using the electronic mail of the governmental organizations, must rigorously set up, change and preserve the Password in confidential manners as stipulated in the Decision or Guideline on implementation of electronic mail of government;
- To exercise such other rights and perform such other obligations as provided under the Decision, regulations and method of electronic mail of government.
- Rights and Obligations for Service Users of Electronic Mail of Government
The service users of Government Email shall have the following rights and obligations:
- To use the Government Email for contacting and collaborating within domestic and international agencies in order to receive and send information in accordance with their positions and responsibilities;
- To be responsible for all information kept in the tools and programs under supervision and management of users, in case, the information was stolen, lost information caused by virus, sending Email to the wrong persons, or other matters;
- The standard and quality of materials, software and network systems used by individuals must be treated and secured;
- Individuals, who use the electronic mail, must have primary knowledge, skills and experience on electronic mail usage;
- In case, the users found any problems in the usage of electronic mail, the users must report it to the concerned authorities in the governmental organizations in order to figure out the solution on time;
- The users must rigorously set up, change and preserve the Password in confidential manners as stipulated in the regulations of electronic mail usage or Guideline on the implementation of electronic mail of government;
Article 19. Prohibitions for Administrator of Government Email
The administrator of Government Email shall prohibit the following behaviors:
- To watch, read, copy or reveal the data of users’ electronic mail to the society, such as password, the received-sent data of electronic mail. If someone violates this prohibition, it means violating to this Minister’s Decision;
- Use the Email name of governmental organization for personal purposes;
- Delete the name of electronic mail and database without permission;
- It is prohibited to implement in any manner other than that provided under the above duties of this Decision, it is violated to this Minister’s Decision.
Article 20. Prohibitions for Service Users of Electronic Mail of Government
Individuals, entity and organizations are prohibited to use the Government Email in the following behavior:
- Using official electronic mail to build or exchange information that shall cause an unwarranted invasion, destroying or in violation of sexual harassment and other issues as violated the laws, rights and so forth.
- Using the Government Email to exchange or disclose the confidential information of the nation, government, privacy or organization and sensitive data for distributing to other persons and social medias without receiving written authorization from the concerned organizations;
- Using the Government Email to distribute information to other people or groups without receiving permission from the concerned organizations;
- Using the name of Government Email or the counterfeit name of electronic mail to distribute or send Email to other people;
- Using the Government Email to build or exchange information in order to advertise, deceive, ask for donation informally and so forth;
- Using the Government Email for sending or spreading virus to other users on purpose;
- Using the Government Email to obscure identity of Email’s users;
- Using or intending to use the name of Government Email before receiving user’s authorization;
- Using the Government Email for gaining benefit or interest for individual, family or groups that may cause the public and social damage.
Rewards for Persons with Outstanding Performance and Measures against Violators
Article 21. Awards for good performers
Individuals, legal entities or organizations who have outstanding performance in implementation of this Decision shall be complimented and receive other rewards in accordance with the regulation.
Article 22. Measure against violators
Individual, legal entities or organization violating this decision shall be educated, be fined or face criminal action depending on the severity of violations including being liable for any damages incurred. in accordance with the existing law and compensate with the damaged amounts.
Article 23. Implementation
The Ministry of Post and Telecommunications authorizes to the Electronic Public Governance Center in collaboration with concerned authorities to implement and control the electronic mail system of government.
The Ministries, Agencies, Capital City and Provinces and Governmental Organizations shall recognize and strictly implement this Decision.
Article 24. Effectiveness
This Decision is effective from the date of signature and fifteen days after posting on the Lao Official Gazette.
(Signed and Sealed)
Download Lao:Decision on the Management and Use of Government Email No. 3680, dated 19 December 2017